Definition of piper in English:
1A bagpipe player.
- AS THE drone of the bagpipes settles into a pleasing skirl, the piper enters and a hush falls over the crowd.
- The Piping Centre's founding director of piping is also one of the world's most accomplished solo pipers and a pipe major with the acclaimed ScottishPower Pipe Band.
- Standing on a makeshift stage of whisky barrels, the six drummers, pipers and vocalists are a dishevelled-looking bunch: think Braveheart meets Mad Max.
2A person who plays a pipe, especially an itinerant musician.
- MacDonald himself will play various pipes and flute, accompanied by seven other pipers and four backing musicians.
- Three pipers, piping furiously, entered the gaming-space, followed by twelve young warriors in white cloaks and helmets decorated with the tail-feathers of the black eagle.
- This is always quite a ceremony, with pipers piping and whisky flowing and famous faces popping up all over.
Old English pīpere.
Definition of piper in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia