noun (plural same or pipis)
- Either of two edible marine bivalve molluscs native to New Zealand.
More example sentences
- Amphidesma australe (family Amphidesmatidae) and Chione stutchburyi (family Veneridae)
- Two related New Zealand species are the tuatua and the pipi.
- The issues that I would like to focus on are the geoducks and whelks to start off with, and cockles and pipi.
- I hasten to add that this is not some small time ‘take 100 pipis when your limit is 50 ‘breach of the law that one normally associates with obstructing the work of a fisheries officer.’
mid 19th century: from Maori.