- 1Lengths of pipe made of metal, plastic, or other materials.More example sentences
- It was replaced at half time by a length of plastic piping that is normally used as a goal post during Little League games.
- The duct network consists of plastic piping routed from the motor to the outlet sockets.
- The initial thought of his sister had him fixing a fire hose and using the long length of piping to lend to his escape.
- 3Thin cord covered in fabric, used to decorate clothing or soft furnishings and reinforce seams.More example sentences
- Other style-conscious additions include graphic seams, decorative piping and raw edging.
- Total cost for the cover, including piping, zipper and thread: $75 and change.
- The current fashion must-have is a hunt coat featuring coordinating piping around the lapels.
- 4The action or art of playing a pipe or pipes.More example sentences
- Eventually, Josephine is missing; nobody can find her and everyone misses her music, her piping, and her singing.
- This event commemorates the birth of the famous Scottish bard on January 25th 1759 and has as its focal point the ceremonial piping in of the haggis, it being addressed and then stabbed and served.
- The Irish Uilleann pipes were played and made in northern cities such as Philadelphia in the nineteenth century, but I've seen no evidence of early piping in the South.
- 5 [count noun] A cutting of a pink or similar plant taken at a joint.More example sentences
- The propagation of pinks from pipings usually works very well.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
- High-pitched: the piping voice of a little girlMore example sentences
- I sensed a sly, sudden presence to my right, perhaps a cat or a dog, then heard a shrill, piping voice that might have come from a child made of metal.
- Tyranowski spoke in a high, piping voice and stilted phrases from books on spirituality; he became a substitute father and mother.
- Although 36 years old when the film was made, Jonny spoke with a high, piping voice.
More definitions of pipingDefinition of piping in:
- The US English dictionary