(also pipistrelle bat)
A small insectivorous Old World bat with jerky, erratic flight.
- Genus Pipistrellus, family Vespertilionidae: numerous species, including P. pipistrellus, which is the commonest bat in Eurasia
More example sentences
- The jerky flight of the pipistrelle gave rise to the ancient name for bats - the flittermouse.
- Western pipistrelles and Mexican free-tailed bats have staked their own claim on the chutes and shafts.
- In the United Kingdom, pipistrelles and long eared bats have to date not been found to harbour European bat lyssaviruses.
late 18th century: from French, from Italian pipistrello, from Latin vespertilio(n-) 'bat', from vesper 'evening'.
More definitions of pipistrelleDefinition of pipistrelle in:
- The US English dictionary