- A mainly ground-dwelling songbird of open country, typically having brown streaky plumage.
More example sentences
- Family Motacillidae: three genera, in particular Anthus, and many species, e.g. the meadow pipit
- Skylarks, wheatears, pipits and greylag geese fill any silences that remain.
- Most observations relate to larks, pipits and finches but kestrels are capable of taking such quarry as fieldfares, turtle doves and lapwing.
- In addition, killdeer, pipits and some shorebirds visit the grassy areas of landfills.
mid 18th century: probably imitative.
More definitions of pipitDefinition of pipit in:
- The US English dictionary