- A deep-bodied South American freshwater fish that typically lives in shoals and has very sharp teeth that are used to tear flesh from prey. It has a reputation as a fearsome predator.
More example sentences
- Serrosalmus and other genera, family Characidae: several species
- Two well-known fish with multiple rows of teeth are piranhas and sharks.
- Some items are curios, such as a necklace of peccary teeth and a piranha jaw fashioned into a cutting tool.
- I would rather throw myself to piranhas than have that reputation.
mid 18th century: via Portuguese from Tupi pirá 'fish' + sainha 'tooth'.
More definitions of piranhaDefinition of piranha in:
- The US English dictionary