Definition of pistachio in English:
noun (plural pistachios)
1 (also pistachio nut) The edible pale green seed of an Asian tree: [as modifier]: pistachio ice cream
More example sentences
- Garnish with celery greens, pistachios, capers and sea salt.
- I can only describe them as 150% sweet, sticky, full of sesame seeds and pistachio nuts with added chilli and curry powder.
- I love the reds and the greens of the pistachios layered on top.
1.1 [mass noun] A pale green colour.
- Black is apparently out and colours like bright green are in - this despite the fact that emerald green and hunter green or pistachio green are unflattering to female skin.
- The whole process takes about 15 minutes: water is driven off, the beans turn pistachio green then pale yellow before going brown.
- The tile print is available in pistachio green or pink, while the summery garden trellis print comes in red and cream or black.
2The evergreen tree which produces the pistachio, with small brownish-green flowers and oval reddish fruit. It is widely cultivated, especially around the Mediterranean and in the US.
- Pistacia vera, family Anacardiaceae
- Mangoes come in hundreds of varieties and a wide range of shapes and sizes, and are distant relatives of cashews, pistachios, poison oak and poison ivy.
- The Chinese pistachio is a beautiful tree that matures to about 40 feet in height with a 30-foot canopy.
- Representatives of several major media outlets were on hand as hundreds of volunteers, many of them TXU employees, gathered to plant the oaks, cypresses, and pistachios.
Definition of pistachio in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan