Definition of piston engine in English:
An engine, especially in an aircraft, in which power is derived from cylinders and pistons rather than a turbine.
- The combination is a small, low-pressure steam boiler feeding a piston engine or turbine.
- They replaced the old radial air-cooled and liquid-cooled engines with a high-compression piston engine.
- The basic design of the aviation piston engine hasn't changed drastically in decades.
- piston-engined adjective
- Example sentences
- However, as time went by the piston-engined Trader started to become something of an antique.
- It had become the railways last big piston-engined aircraft, outlasting both DC - 3s as well as its Convair cousin.
- By February 1999, the number of aeroplanes she refueled at Ondangwa has risen to 74 jets and 52 piston-engined aircraft per month.
Definition of piston engine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.