Definition of piston engine in English:
An engine, especially in an aircraft, in which power is derived from cylinders and pistons rather than a turbine.
- The combination is a small, low-pressure steam boiler feeding a piston engine or turbine.
- They replaced the old radial air-cooled and liquid-cooled engines with a high-compression piston engine.
- The basic design of the aviation piston engine hasn't changed drastically in decades.
- Example sentences
- However, as time went by the piston-engined Trader started to become something of an antique.
- It had become the railways last big piston-engined aircraft, outlasting both DC - 3s as well as its Convair cousin.
- By February 1999, the number of aeroplanes she refueled at Ondangwa has risen to 74 jets and 52 piston-engined aircraft per month.
Definition of piston engine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan