- A large saw with handles at the top and bottom, used in a vertical position by two men, one standing above the timber to be cut, the other in a pit below it.More example sentences
- Shafts could be ripped by handsaw from one-inch planks cut with a pit saw, or they were sometimes split from a billet with a froe, or wedge.
- The use of the pit saw required that men work in teams of two, one to handle the up-stroke, the other to pull down on the saw to make the cut.
- Furthermore, licences have been issued to five pit saw millers who are specifically allotted trees they cut and frequently monitored to ensure that they do not engage in activities that are contrary to the provisions of their licences.
More definitions of pit sawDefinition of pit saw in:
- The US English dictionary