Definition of pit stop in English:
1 Motor Racing A stop at a pit for servicing and refuelling, especially during a race.
- We did a scheduled pit stop halfway through the race then made a brief stop for fuel near the end of the race.
- I knew I was quicker, I knew that I should have to pit and therefore when I came out ahead of him at the last pit stop the race was done.
- Chamberlain duly romped to a fourth victory and even had time for a quick pit stop in the opening race.
1.1 informal A brief rest, especially during a journey.
- So for example, you might have to spend 19 hours flying from Singapore to Los Angeles, with a brief pit stop in Tokyo.
- The roads through the base have been closed to the public for around 90 years, but naval leaders opened the gates to allow the classic cars in for a brief pit stop before they returned to Helensburgh.
- We called it a final truce and decided to find somewhere for a pit stop before leaving.
Definition of pit stop in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan