A plant with a deep pitcher-shaped pouch that contains fluid into which insects are attracted and drowned. Nutrients are then absorbed from their bodies by the plant.
- Three families, in particular Sarraceniaceae (New World) and Nepenthaceae (Old World): many species, including the purple-flowered Sarracenia purpurea, naturalized in Ireland
More example sentences
- The pitcher plant attracts insects through the reddish colour and musty smell of its leaves.
- The pitcher plant, with their upright hollow tubular leaves and capped lids, is the most popular.
- The California pitcher plant, largest of the five killer plant species found here, will even consume butterflies, if it gets the chance.
Definition of pitcher plant in:
- The US English dictionary