- A plant with a deep pitcher-shaped pouch that contains fluid into which insects are attracted and drowned. Nutrients are then absorbed from their bodies by the plant.
More example sentences
- Three families, in particular Sarraceniaceae (New World) and Nepenthaceae (Old World): many species, including the purple-flowered Sarracenia purpurea, naturalized in Ireland
- The pitcher plant attracts insects through the reddish colour and musty smell of its leaves.
- The pitcher plant, with their upright hollow tubular leaves and capped lids, is the most popular.
- The California pitcher plant, largest of the five killer plant species found here, will even consume butterflies, if it gets the chance.
More definitions of pitcher plantDefinition of pitcher plant in:
- The US English dictionary