Definition of pitchout in English:
1 Baseball A pitch thrown intentionally beyond the reach of the batter to allow the catcher a clear throw at an advancing base runner.
- Pitchers also were taught to throw to first more often to keep the runner close; pitchouts have become more common, as well.
- The first time George gave the steal sign, Roseboro picked it up, called for a pitchout and threw out Tracewski by a mile.
- But Robinson also received a tepid response when he encouraged the catchers to call pitchouts in spring training.
2 American Football A lateral pass, especially from the quarterback to a running back.
- Against Colorado, Texas began looking down field more and instituted reverses, pitchouts and the shuttle pass.
- Wells was stuffed on a pitchout on fourth-and-one from the Houston 45.
- He set up Tampa's first score with a 23-yard dash on a pitchout.
Definition of pitchout in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan