- 1 (plural pitmen) A coal miner.More example sentences
- At 18, David Purnell, like so many pitmen, had followed his father into the industry after 18 months working as a butcher.
- Thirty years ago, striking pitmen put the country on a three-day week and brought down the Heath government.
- Their bosses are putting on free yoga classes for all workers in a bid to make pitmen more alert and flexible.
- 2 (plural pitmans) North American A connecting rod.More example sentences
- The saw frame was then lowered, and the pitman, powered by the driving pulley, moved the saw frame back and forth over the stone.
More definitions of pitmanDefinition of pitman in:
- The US English dictionary