- A sound like that of quick light steps or taps: the soft pitter-patter of the rain on the leavesMore example sentences
- The only sound I can hear is the soft pitter-patter of the rain against my window.
- Beauty is a cold, cloudy day, where all you hear is the soft pitter-patter of the falling rain.
- The air was full of pen scratches, clashes of minds, books being taken off and placed back onto shelves, and of the pitter-patter of soft footfalls.
adverbBack to top
- With a sound like that of quick light steps or taps: footsteps that go pitter-patterMore example sentences
- I think of you and my heart goes pitter-patter across the floor.
verb[no object] Back to top
late Middle English: reduplication (expressing rhythmic repetition) of the verb patter1.