(also pixellate or pixilate)
Definition of pixelate in English:
1Divide (an image) into pixels, typically for display or storage in a digital format.
- Especially jarring are the pixelated JPEG graphics that are used throughout as illustrations.
- It's hard to imagine that video game designers didn't have her in mind when they pixelated her.
- Now that we've pixelated the image, there's a few different things we can do with it, and we'll look at them next.
1.1Display an image of (someone or something) on television as a small number of large pixels, typically in order to disguise someone’s identity.
- The faces of others in the doorway were pixelated so as not to reveal their identity.
- (There's no need to worry your grandparents - the offending area was pixellated, being one of the few things that is still not allowed to be shown under the censor's rules).
- This seems especially bizarre when I heard another report that a man's bare torso was pixelated on the American news networks so as to ensure that no viewers would be offended.
Definition of pixelate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan