Definition of pizzicato in English:
adjectiveBack to top
Performed pizzicato: an inspired pizzicato movement by the Philharmonic strings
More example sentences
- The song was difficult to perform, with complicated pizzicato parts and arpeggios, requiring swift and flexible movements.
- The first movement's imitations came alive and the pizzicato second movement was coloured with delicate charm.
- The slow movement ‘Aria,’ finely adumbrated by pizzicato bass at the scherzo's end, is a grave conversation among the string sections and their principals.
noun (plural pizzicatos or pizzicati /-ti/)[mass noun] Back to top
1The technique of playing pizzicato.
- Many of the most demanding techniques of the present-day violinist are associated primarily with him, including ‘ricochet’ bowing, left-hand pizzicato, and double-stop harmonics.
- The orchestration is again brilliant, with particularly effective use of trumpets, pizzicato, string moto perpetuo, harp, and glockenspiel.
- For example, in the A-minor concerto, the contrasting use of pizzicato versus arco with the same thematic material is a happy surprise, guaranteed to raise a smile.
1.1 [count noun] A note or passage played pizzicato.
- A whirlwind of a third movement, with its Bartók pizzicati, brought something of the sound world of the last movement of the Barber Violin Concerto.
- These elements were even more evocatively combined in the especially atmospheric penultimate song, ‘After a hundred years’, where the mellifluous voice was enveloped by the piano's sustained octaves and fifths and string pizzicati.
- I would disapprove only of the needlessly dry string pizzicatos at the first suggestion of the variations' sicilienne-like theme.
Italian, literally 'pinched, twitched', past participle of pizzicare, based on pizza 'point, edge'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan