Definition of placeholder in English:
1.1A symbol or piece of text used in a mathematical expression or in an instruction in a computer program to denote a missing quantity or operator.
- The HTML files contain placeholders for data that will be substituted in at runtime.
- With the Impress files created, I needed to replace my graphic image placeholders with the actual image.
- But even users of low-end databases can benefit from using placeholders because they ensure strings will be quoted correctly, even if they contain quotation marks or apostrophes.
2 Linguistics An element of a sentence that is required by syntactic constraints but carries little or no semantic information, for example the word it as a subject in it is a pity that she left, where the true subject is that she left.
- According to this model, readers process text in parallel at several levels of analysis, which mesh the ease of identification with the role of function words as structural placeholders.
- The it in suffice it to say is an impersonal or indefinite pronoun, one that functions as a grammatical placeholder without supplying much real meaning.
Definition of placeholder in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.