(US placenta previa)
noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A condition in which the placenta partially or wholly blocks the neck of the uterus, so interfering with normal delivery of a baby.More example sentences
- As with placental abruption, placenta previa can result in the birth of a premature baby.
- We sent questionnaires to the 220 clinical tutors of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in England and Wales to survey the antenatal management of asymptomatic placenta praevia.
- The diagnosis of placenta previa is very common in the second trimester, but more than 95% of these do not have placenta previa at delivery.
early 19th century: from placenta and Latin praevia 'going before', feminine of praevius.
More definitions of placenta praeviaDefinition of placenta praevia in:
- The US English dictionary