Definition of placental in English:
1Relating to a placenta.
- In mice, the gender of adjacent siblings on the placental fetus line in the uterus will affect such things as the male/female ratio of a given mouse's subsequent offspring, and even the longevity of those offspring.
- She believes her 14-year-old daughter's scleroderma, a systemic sclerosis, is linked to silicone crossing the placental barrier.
- The couple, from Whinmoor, Leeds, claim greater care should have been taken of the woman who was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia - a placental defect - some weeks before the birth.
1.1 Zoology Relating to or denoting mammals that possess a placenta; eutherian.
- To distinguish them from the marsupials and the placental mammals the monotremes are placed in their own class, the prototheria.
- The reproductive system of the therians (marsupial and placental mammals) is a complex variation on the egg-layer's basic tubular structure.
- Both taxa are placental or eutherian mammals, but their relationships to other eutherians continue to be a source of discussion.
nounZoology Back to top
A placental mammal. See Eutheria.
- ‘Looking across the world, 99.9 percent of modern mammals are placentals and marsupials, so finding how they came about is an important question,’ he said.
- It is significant because a vast majority of mammals alive today are placentals.
- Cathy's work suggests that, unlike placentals, marsupial mammals never had to rediscover red; for them, it's always been there.
Definition of placental in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.