noun (plural same)
A North Atlantic flatfish which is a commercially important food fish.
- Two species in the family Pleuronectidae: the European Pleuronectes platessa, often found in very shallow water, and the American Hippoglossoides platessoides, found in deeper waters
More example sentences
- As a youngster he fished off the rocks for the usual species of cod, pollack, coley, wrasse, mackerel and dogfish with the odd plaice or eel.
- They are the last remnants of a once-proud fishing industry, middle-water North Sea boats that fish for cod, plaice, haddock and lemon sole in an area that stretches down from Norway to the Thames.
- Oysters, prawns, eel, trout, plaice, turbot, lobster, salmon and scallops with plenty of golden oldies such as sole veronique, poached and garnished with Muscat grapes.
Definition of plaice in:
- The US English dictionary