- Talking in a frank, outspoken, or blunt manner: a plain-speaking Texan whose words are to be taken at face valueMore example sentences
- He presents himself as a downright, plain-speaking common man who nevertheless is compassionate towards the follies and sufferings of humankind.
- "They were acting out of spitefulness and hatred", said the plain-speaking Archbishop in an interview with our reporter.
- Sometimes I dream of having a leader who has simple wisdom and the ordinary values of plain-speaking honesty and guileless good will.
noun(plain speaking) [mass noun] Back to top
- Directness of speech; frankness: they have lost the art of plain speakingMore example sentences
- Their politics were radically different, but each man believed plain speaking was essential to a democracy because it was the only way to tell the truth.
- Plain speaking, he argued, was necessary now: Communication should be direct, and anything that might create confusion should be eschewed.
- Well, sir, here's to plain speaking and clear understanding.
More definitions of plain-speakingDefinition of plain-speaking in:
- The US English dictionary