A process restricting the vibrations of electromagnetic radiation, especially light, to one direction.
More example sentences
- Details are also given of a device which compensates for the spurious partial plane polarization that otherwise causes slight differences in reflectance readings when the polarizer on a microscope is rotated, and which simplifies the operations involved in making reflectance measurements on very small grains.
- More example sentences
- In 1845 he studied the effect of a magnetic field on plane-polarised light.
- If all electrons in a material vibrated in the same direction, all the light emitted would be plane-polarized.
- Variable degrees of alteration are responsible for the chalky white colour of the rocks, giving the plagioclase a dusty appearance in plane-polarized light.
Definition of plane polarization in:
- The US English dictionary