A low-growing plant which typically has a rosette of leaves and a slender green flower spike, occurring widely as a weed of lawns.
- Genus Plantago, family Plantaginaceae: many species
- What girl child has not, during the warm summer months of her youth, played in the out of doors making weed soup from plantain leaves, grass, marigolds, any green or blooming thing.
- The composition is punctuated by dramatic rocks, pine, bamboo and flowering prunus, plantain, rose and willow.
- Look out for sudden appearances of weeds such as dandelion and plantain in your lawn.
Words that rhyme with plantaincaptain
1A banana containing high levels of starch and little sugar, which is harvested green and widely used as a cooked vegetable in the tropics.
- The Gabonese produce enough bananas, plantains, sugar, and soap to export to nearby cities, but 90 percent of the food is imported.
- Bananas are typically thought of as a dessert course while the starchy plantains are cooked before eating and are considered a major staple of the tropic countries.
- On the coast, there is great dependence on bananas and green plantains.
2The plant which bears the plantain.
- Musa × paradisiaca, family Musaceae
- Tree trunks of green banana or plantain stood in ranks, some as tall as me.
- Excerpts from these will inscribed, along with Chinese ghost stories, on the leaves of a plantain palm - a tree said to attract ghosts in China - installed at the Fruitmarket.
- The fungus attacks all major varieties of bananas and plantains, turning the leaves a mottled yellow, brown and black, hindering photosynthesis.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.