Definition of plaque in English:
- The kick off is at 2pm where a plaque to commemorate the event will be unveiled.
- Commemorative wall plaques and mugs in celebration of 150 years of St. Conleth's Church are available in the Parish Office.
- The Cincfleet Admiral took the salute and unveiled a plaque to commemorate the event.
- Pericoronitis - an infection of the soft tissue surrounding the tooth, caused by a build of plaque (a sticky white substance that contains bacteria).
- Salivary bicarbonate can help protect teeth against attack from acids produced by bacteria in dental plaque.
- Tooth decay is caused by the bacteria in dental plaque breaking down sugar in the foods and drinks that you eat and drink.
- Atherosclerosis, which develops as fatty plaques within arterial walls, underlies both heart attack and stroke.
- To understand how atherosclerotic plaques become deposited in arteries it is necessary to understand how the highly insoluble cholesterol is moved about the body.
- High blood cholesterol can lead to deposits of plaques, which narrow your arteries and increase your risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Progeny phage that produced clear plaques in the presence of IPTG and X-gal were analyzed by a differential oligonucleotide hybridization technique, as reported.
- The comparative analysis of the degree of pathogenecity among Indian isolates of WNV in mice, and their plaque size in cell culture were studied 30.
- The activated PS2-containing integrins are clustered in basal plaques on each cell, but the PS1-containing heterodimers are not.
This word comes via French, from Dutch plak ‘tablet’, from plakken ‘to stick’. The notion of ‘sticking’ is often at the word's core, whether referring to an ornamental plaque attached to a wall (mid 19th century), dental plaque clinging to teeth (late 19th century), or in medicine a fatty deposit on an artery wall (late 19th century).
- Example sentences
- A series of religious Italian Renaissance plaquettes worth about £500,000 have been stolen from the Victoria & Albert Museum.
- Small bronze statuettes and plaquettes and portrait medallions are just a few examples of what one would have found in their studioli.
- At Sotheby's in London on 21 April, the firm's associate specialist coins and medals auctioneers Morton & Eden is offering a choice group of fifty-three renaissance medals and plaquettes from the collection of the late John R. Gaines.
Words that rhyme with plaqueaback, alack, attack, back, black, brack, clack, claque, crack, Dirac, drack, flack, flak, hack, jack, Kazakh, knack, lack, lakh, mac, mach, Nagorno-Karabakh, pack, pitchblack, quack, rack, sac, sack, shack, shellac, slack, smack, snack, stack, tach, tack, thwack, track, vac, wack, whack, wrack, yak, Zack
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.