noun[mass noun] Botany
- Contraction of the protoplast of a plant cell as a result of loss of water from the cell.More example sentences
- The findings of this study revealed for the first time in angiosperm cells that plasmolysis triggers an extensive reorganization of the AF cytoskeleton, which is involved in the regulation of protoplast shape and volume.
- By contrast to healthy control root hairs, incipient plasmolysis and loss of root hair cytosolic content was also observed.
- By contrast with mannitol, ionic osmotica induced plasmolysis of all root cells, irrespective of their position within the maize root apex (data not shown).
late 19th century: modern Latin, from plasmo- from late Latin plasma 'mould' + Greek lusis 'loosening' (because of the separation of the plasma membrane from the cell wall).
More definitions of plasmolysisDefinition of plasmolysis in:
- The US English dictionary