- Any of a class of small organelles in the cytoplasm of plant cells, containing pigment or food.More example sentences
- These protoplasts had a thick cytoplasm with numerous plastids and mitochondria.
- Sieve-tube members are also living cells in leaves, and contain plastids but not chloroplasts.
- In general, stromules are more abundant in tissues containing non-green plastids, and in cells containing smaller plastids.
late 19th century: from German, based on Greek plastos 'shaped'.
More definitions of plastidDefinition of plastid in:
- The US English dictionary