noun[treated as singular]
- A theory explaining the structure of the earth’s crust and many associated phenomena as resulting from the interaction of rigid lithospheric plates which move slowly over the underlying mantle.More example sentences
- In the early 1960s, the emergence of the theory of plate tectonics started a revolution in the earth sciences.
- The theory of plate tectonics holds that the entire crust of the earth is broken into six large pieces and many smaller ones.
- Scientists were surprised by this finding because andesites on Earth are typically created by processes associated with plate tectonics.
More definitions of plate tectonicsDefinition of plate tectonics in:
- The US English dictionary