noun (plural platies)
- A small live-bearing freshwater fish of Central America, which is popular in aquaria.
More example sentences
- Genus Xiphophorus, family Poeciliidae: several species, in particular X. maculatus, which has been bred in a wide variety of colours
- Examples include the jewelfish and spotted tilapia; and livebearers, such as swordtails, platies and mollies, and armored catfishes.
- He's lived happily for the past four months with a platy and two neon tetras in a five gallon aquarium.
- Prompted by my concern for Linda's ‘tough-love’ hardened goldfish and platies, I was given Nigel as an outlet for my protective zeal.
early 20th century: colloquial abbreviation of modern Latin Platypoecilus (former genus name), from Greek platus 'broad' + poikilos 'variegated'.
More definitions of platyDefinition of platy in:
- The US English dictionary