Definition of platyrrhine in English:
Relating to primates of a group that comprises the New World monkeys, marmosets, and tamarins. They are distinguished by having nostrils that are far apart and directed forwards or sideways, and typically have a prehensile tail. Compare with catarrhine.
- In addition, newly generated DNA sequences indicate that platyrrhine monkeys use a different mechanism of alpha gene expression control than that found in catarrhines.
- The subsequent chapters offer broad discussion of the platyrrhine fossil record and, compared to early chapters, are richly illustrated with both cranial and postcranial material.
nounBack to top
A platyrrhine primate.
- Infraorder Platyrrhini, order Primates: families Cebidae and Callitrichidae
- There were five primate lineages studied here: hominoids, colobines, cercopithecines, platyrrhines (New World monkeys), and lemurs.
- The failure is not due to the number of sequences included, as the species phylogeny was not recovered for either catarrhines or platyrrhines when all nuclear sequences were excluded from the phylogenetic analysis.
Definition of platyrrhine in:
- US English dictionary