- A detailed running commentary on a sporting contest: [count noun]: you can always hear the play-by-play of your favourite team’s game [mass noun]: he pioneered radio play-by-play of hockey in 1923 [as modifier]: the play-by-play announcerMore example sentences
- Josh Lewin is the television voice of the Texas Rangers and a play-by-play announcer for FOX's Saturday Game of the Week.
- He is the Spanish play-by-play announcer for the Florida Marlins.
- The play-by-play announcer holds a special place in our hearts.
More definitions of play-by-playDefinition of play-by-play in:
- The US English dictionary