Entry from US English dictionary
Therapy in which emotionally disturbed children are encouraged to act out their fantasies and express their feelings through play, aided by a therapist’s interpretations.
- Family therapists can utilize techniques from both family therapy and play therapy as an effective way to include children as part of the therapeutic process.
- Three theoretical approaches were the most frequently ranked as panelists' first choice: Structural family therapy, child play therapy, and an integrative approach.
- Since the 1950s, the disciplines of family therapy and play therapy have developed simultaneously but separately.
play therapist noun
- Example sentences
- She commented to the play therapist, ‘I felt like it all really happened.’
- The parent's role is modeled after that of a child-centered play therapist.
- The play therapist is a member of the team and notes behavior and attitudes that contribute to the team's understanding of the child.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.