- 1 [mass noun] The action of making an emotional or earnest appeal to someone: he ignored her pleadingMore example sentences
- She chose to ignore my pleading and continued with her work.
- Chris nodded, her eyes again filling at the earnestness and pleading behind his tone.
- I appeal to you in the language of passionate pleading.
- 2 (usually pleadings) Law A formal statement of the cause of an action or defence: counsel for the plaintiffs wanted to amend the pleadingsMore example sentences
- There are many allegations made in the pleadings against the defendants but the matter which came before me to decide was a narrow one.
- The record before me does not contain any pleadings in reply to the statements of defence of the police defendants.
- In the pleadings, the defendants assert that the Bank owed them a duty of good faith that was breached.