adjective (pleasanter, pleasantest)
1Giving a sense of happy satisfaction or enjoyment: a very pleasant evening
More example sentences
- Was there some other happy or less pleasant episode in her life that she felt she could commemorate?
- Sometimes it seems that we ourselves can cause the enjoyment of pleasant objects.
- Religion sets down rules with the aim of making society a pleasant happy place in which to live.
enjoyable, pleasing, pleasurable, nice, agreeable, satisfying, gratifying, welcome, good, acceptable, to one's liking;
entertaining, amusing, diverting;
delightful, charming, inviting, attractive, beautiful;
fine, balmy, salubrious;
Scottish bonny, couthy
informal lovely, great
North American informal neat
South African informal lekker, mooi
1.1(Of a person or their manner) friendly and considerate; likeable: they found him pleasant and cooperative
More example sentences
- A social worker who had worked with Fraser since described her as a lovely and pleasant girl.
- When the most pleasant person you meet on your way in is the ticket inspector, you know things are bad.
- He was, by all accounts an extremely pleasant person and of the highest integrity.
friendly, agreeable, amiable, affable, nice, genial, likeable, amicable, lovely, good-humoured, personable, congenial, hospitable, approachable, good-natured, companionable;
gracious, courteous, polite, cordial, obliging, helpful, considerate;
cheerful, warm, charming, engaging, winning, delightful, sweet, as nice as pie, sympathetic;
Northern English & Scottish canny;
- Example sentences
- The report praised the school's ‘strong, family feel’ and added that tradition, good behaviour, politeness and pleasantness were much in evidence.
- The warmth and pleasantness of the riviera always comes as a delightful contrast to the sleet and snow of the preceding five days.
- It's hard to explain the affect ingrained politeness and social pleasantness has.
Middle English (in the sense 'pleasing'): from Old French plaisant 'pleasing', from the verb plaisir (see please).
Words that rhyme with pleasantbezant, omnipresent, peasant, pheasant, present
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.