adjective (pleasanter, pleasantest)
1Giving a sense of happy satisfaction or enjoyment: a very pleasant evening
More example sentences
- Was there some other happy or less pleasant episode in her life that she felt she could commemorate?
- Sometimes it seems that we ourselves can cause the enjoyment of pleasant objects.
- Religion sets down rules with the aim of making society a pleasant happy place in which to live.
enjoyable, pleasing, pleasurable, nice, agreeable, satisfying, gratifying, welcome, good, acceptable, to one's liking;
entertaining, amusing, diverting;
delightful, charming, inviting, attractive, beautiful;
fine, balmy, salubrious;
Scottish bonny, couthy
informal lovely, great
North American informal neat
South African informal lekker, mooi
1.1(Of a person or their manner) friendly and considerate; likeable: they found him pleasant and cooperative
More example sentences
- A social worker who had worked with Fraser since described her as a lovely and pleasant girl.
- When the most pleasant person you meet on your way in is the ticket inspector, you know things are bad.
- He was, by all accounts an extremely pleasant person and of the highest integrity.
friendly, agreeable, amiable, affable, nice, genial, likeable, amicable, lovely, good-humoured, personable, congenial, hospitable, approachable, good-natured, companionable;
gracious, courteous, polite, cordial, obliging, helpful, considerate;
cheerful, warm, charming, engaging, winning, delightful, sweet, as nice as pie, sympathetic;
Northern English & Scottish canny;
- Example sentences
- The report praised the school's ‘strong, family feel’ and added that tradition, good behaviour, politeness and pleasantness were much in evidence.
- The warmth and pleasantness of the riviera always comes as a delightful contrast to the sleet and snow of the preceding five days.
- It's hard to explain the affect ingrained politeness and social pleasantness has.
Middle English (in the sense 'pleasing'): from Old French plaisant 'pleasing', from the verb plaisir (see please).
Words that rhyme with pleasantbezant, omnipresent, peasant, pheasant, present
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pleas|ant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.