- Denoting or in the manner of a 19th-century style of painting outdoors, which became a central feature of French impressionism: the French style of plein-air landscape paintingMore example sentences
- Even before Parisian painters took it up, Provencal landscape artists had practiced plein-air painting.
- Even as the animated brushwork makes them teeter on the edge of abstraction, these works have the natural light of 19 th-century plein-air paintings.
- He studied at the Slade School, 1875-80, then in Italy and Paris, where he was strongly influenced by contemporary French plein-air painting.
from French en plein air 'in the open air'.
More definitions of plein-airDefinition of plein-air in:
- The US English dictionary