Definition of pleonexia in English:
noun[mass noun] rare
Extreme greed for wealth or material possessions; avarice.
- When a man has pleonexia in his heart he loses sight of God in a mad desire to get.
- Pleonexia is associated with the rational part of the soul.
- He portrays them as deeply divided, because their pleonexia leaves them dissatisfied and full of self-hatred.
mid 19th century: Greek, from pleonektein 'be greedy', from pleiōn 'more' + ekhein 'have'.
- Example sentences
- The desire to have more than one's share and to deprive others of their basic needs spawns pathological behavior in the pleonectic person.
- The attempted lawgiving of the wolf commander is undermined by the lawgiver's pleonectic sequestering of his own booty from the hunt.
- The legislators will have to seek out and punish those who exhibit pleonectic desires.
Definition of pleonexia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan