Definition of pleonexia in English:
noun[mass noun] rare
Extreme greed for wealth or material possessions; avarice.
- When a man has pleonexia in his heart he loses sight of God in a mad desire to get.
- Pleonexia is associated with the rational part of the soul.
- He portrays them as deeply divided, because their pleonexia leaves them dissatisfied and full of self-hatred.
- Example sentences
- The desire to have more than one's share and to deprive others of their basic needs spawns pathological behavior in the pleonectic person.
- The attempted lawgiving of the wolf commander is undermined by the lawgiver's pleonectic sequestering of his own booty from the hunt.
- The legislators will have to seek out and punish those who exhibit pleonectic desires.
Mid 19th century: Greek, from pleonektein 'be greedy', from pleiōn 'more' + ekhein 'have'.
Definition of pleonexia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.