Definition of plethysmograph in English:
An instrument for recording and measuring variation in the volume of a part of the body, especially as caused by changes in blood pressure.
- Lennox and coworkers found that drift of an inductive plethysmography signal was only 22% of the drift arising from changes in temperature within a body plethysmograph.
- Lung volumes were measured in a whole-body plethysmograph, and data were expressed as a percent of the predicted values published by Goldman and Becklake.
- Hulskamp and coworkers measured lung volume with a new plethysmograph in 32 healthy infants.
- Example sentences
- The pulse oximeter also utilizes a plethysmographic waveform to differentiate pulsatile arterial hemoglobin saturation from venous blood.
- Before and after training, spirometry, plethysmographic lung volumes, and carbon monoxide diffusing capacity were assessed.
- Baseline specific airways conductance and airway responsiveness to histamine were measured using a non invasive body plethysmographic technique.
Late 19th century: from Greek plēthusmos 'enlargement' (based on plēthus 'fullness') + -graph.
Definition of plethysmograph in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.