noun (plural same or plexuses)Anatomy
1A network of nerves or vessels in the body.
- Around the abdominal aorta, the aortic plexus of nerves can be identified.
- The doubled veins may unite in front and behind the artery to form a plexus around that vessel.
- This nerve is considered by some authors as the most variable nerve of the lumbar plexus.
- Example sentences
- Other findings include secondary medial hypertrophy of pulmonary arteries, alveolar hemorrhage, and absence of plexiform lesions.
- In addition, nitrotyrosine expression was also observed in 18 of 25 plexiform lesions.
- Both the localized and plexiform neurofibromas of neurofibromatosis type 1 carry an increased risk of malignant degeneration.
Late 17th century: from Latin, literally 'plaited formation', past participle of plectere 'to plait'.
Words that rhyme with plexusnexus, Texas
Definition of plexus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.