- 1Emit a short, sharp, metallic or ringing sound: the sounds echoed and plinked like bellsMore example sentences
- This is soft sand and palm-trees music, to enjoy with somebody passing you a cocktail with little ice fragments plinking away in time to the song.
- I've been plinking away on these machines for years.
- The music be - bobs lightly in the background, plinking and plonking past gin joints, stepping hesitantly round every dark corner.
- 1.1Play a musical instrument in such a way as to produce short, sharp, ringing sounds: a daughter dutifully plinks through her piano lessonMore example sentences
- We tend to sing melodies into his ears, or plink away on the piano, and he can help us realize it and embellish it.
- They walked in, picked up their instruments and Nick started plinking and plunking at the piano.
- As he plinks the piano, he doesn't know, the poor schmo, that something else is having that idea.
- 1.2 [with object] chiefly North American Shoot at (a target) casually: we enjoyed idyllic family afternoons plinking cans with a revolverMore example sentences
- Hall divides the handguns he sells into several basic categories: defense guns, fun guns for target shooting and plinking, competition guns, hunting guns and cowboy action guns.
- Informal target shooting, plinking if you will, is made more enjoyable with a fine firearm as surely as is serious competition.
- Whether they like to target shoot, plink or hunt small game, this gun just feels right.
nounBack to top
- A short, sharp, metallic or ringing sound: there was a plink, the sound of an aluminium bat hitting the ballMore example sentences
- Depending on which band you are listening to, pan music can be raucous and noisy, a riotous volley of plinks, clangs and bongs, or it can be like notes on velvet.
- She poured cereal into a bowl and watched as the small sugary puffs of chemicals made a plink sound on the blue ceramic.
- Their sound - flanged acoustic guitars, jazz-funk piano plinks, rippling clicks - is so clean you could eat off it.
- More example sentences
- All the shrimp hubbub was over and a little band had begun to play plinky, tango type music.
- I felt great and had even started to get into the plinky plonky whale music.
- It's ever so nice and gentle and plinky plinky if you know what I mean.
More definitions of plinkDefinition of plink in:
- The US English dictionary