A plesiosaur with a short neck, large head, and massive toothed jaws.
- Family Pliosauridae, infraorder Plesiosauria: several genera, including Pliosaurus
More example sentences
- But pliosaurs had short necks and massive jaws that would have been capable of lifting a car and biting it in half.
- Although many of them had long necks and small heads, one group, the pliosaurs, had short necks and large heads.
- An ancient animal that swam with pliosaurs 100 million years ago, and whose numbers once were so vast they could impede ships, the leatherback is among the most endangered of sea turtles.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Pliosaurus (genus name), from Greek pleiōn 'more' + sauros 'lizard' (because of its greater similarity to a lizard than the ichthyosaur).
Definition of pliosaur in:
- The US English dictionary