noun[mass noun] Genetics
- The number of sets of chromosomes in a cell, or in the cells of an organism: [as modifier]: ploidy levelsMore example sentences
- Four of the chromosome counts represented new ploidy levels.
- Grass genomes differ greatly in chromosome number, ploidy level, and size.
- Chromosome number and ploidy vary greatly and there is much overlap between them.
1940s: from words such as (di)ploidy and (poly)ploidy.
More definitions of ploidyDefinition of ploidy in:
- The US English dictionary