- A person employed to wash dishes and carry out other menial tasks in a restaurant or hotel: Orwell worked in Paris as a plongeurMore example sentences
- These are the homes of the night staff, the plongeurs from the uptown restaurants.
- Published in 1933 as an autobiographical novel, Down and Out in Paris and London records the author's experiences toiling under terrible conditions as a plongeur, or restaurant dishwasher, in the bowels of a great Paris hotel.
- And then he starts the job, as a plongeur in a hotel kitchen.
French, literally 'person who plunges'.
More definitions of plongeurDefinition of plongeur in:
- The US English dictionary