Definition of plover in English:
1A short-billed gregarious wading bird, typically found by water but sometimes frequenting grassland, tundra, and mountains.
- Family Charadriidae (the plover family): several genera and numerous species, especially the ringed plovers (Charadrius), grey and golden plovers (Pluvialis), and lapwings (Vanellus)
- In the mud flats of the Bay of Fundy, you'll see large roosts of shorebirds - plovers, yellowlegs, godwits, curlews, and phalaropes - at high tide.
- Currently, visitors to the flats are likely to see sandpipers, avocets, oystercatchers, godwits, dowitchers, plovers and other shorebirds on their way south.
- The Semipalmated Plover is a small plover with a short bill and yellow-orange legs.
1.1Used in names of birds similar to the plover in other families, e.g. Egyptian plover.
- There were a dozen black-winged stilts, two spur-winged plovers, a common sandpiper and my new life bird, a great snipe.
- It already attracts birds - paradise and mallard ducks, spur-winged plovers and welcome swallows.
- Birds such as the sanderling, white-fronted plover and many others are dependent on these creatures as well as being themselves dependent on the biome.
Words that rhyme with plovercover, Glover, hardcover, lover, undercover
Definition of plover in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.