- Relating to or characterized by rainfall: the alternation of pluvial and arid periods in the QuaternaryMore example sentences
- Left by a passing glacier, the boulders acted as umbrellas to the softer rock beneath, protecting it from pluvial erosion.
- Evidence of pluvial lakes have been used in the reconstruction of palaeoclimates, using shoreline evidence and analysis of lake sediments to link lake levels to climate.
- That is, if the pluvial conditions are such that a rainbow is produced, then that rainbow will look very different from the norm.
nounBack to top
mid 17th century: from Latin pluvialis, from pluvia 'rain'.
More definitions of pluvialDefinition of pluvial in:
- The US English dictionary