Definition of pneumatic in English:
- The pneumatic pump operated the mechanical heart and sustained Clark for 112 days.
- Any pressurized bottle used for pneumatic operation must be filled with compressed air, nitrogen, or CO2.
- In a procedure which began at seven o'clock in the morning and which lasted for a little under four hours, the 1,000 metric tonne roof was raised from inside the storage tank's structure using pneumatic pressure.
- Ornithologists have long sought to explain pneumatic bones in birds as an adaptation to some aspect of their lifestyle, such as the great benefit they offer for energy savings in flying.
- A pneumatic dermal layer is present beneath the skin.
- The bones were hollow and thin-walled, but also pneumatic: that is, they had openings in their walls that allowed air sacs from the respiratory system to enter the bones.
- Example sentences
- A pneumatically operated ball valve controls the flow of liquid nitrogen through each lance, and the entire process is sequenced from a pushbutton control panel.
- The first externally powered prosthetic limbs were built in Germany around 1915, although it was not until the 1950s that electrically and pneumatically powered devices appeared for general use.
- Graphically, the game is now stunning, with superb character animation and great backgrounds - although some might object to the pneumatically proportioned women.
This comes from Greek pneumatikos, from pneuma ‘wind’. Greek pnein ‘breathe’ is the base. Because the Greeks felt there was a strong association between breath and the soul the pneumatic is used in New Testament Greek to mean ‘spiritual’, and this is the sense first recorded in English. It came to be used for things inflated with air in the middle of the 19th century, and this opened the way to the development of pneumatic to describe a well-rounded female form. Rather surprisingly, T. S. Eliot is the first recorded user of this sense: ‘Uncorseted her friendly bust Gives promise of pneumatic bliss’ (Whispers of Immortality 1919).
Words that rhyme with pneumaticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
Definition of pneumatic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.