Definition of pneumococcus in English:
noun (plural pneumococci ˌnjuːmə(ʊ)ˈkɒk(s)ʌɪˌnjuːmə(ʊ)ˈkɒk(s)iː)
A bacterium associated with pneumonia and some forms of meningitis.
- The bacteria pneumococcus, with more than 90 serotypes, is a common pathogen with many unknowns.
- These scientists have recently discovered that a significant proportion of pneumonia in children is not caused by a virus, but by a bacterium - the pneumococcus.
- The pneumococcus, a bacterium, is responsible for about a third of community pneumonia cases.
- pneumococcal adjective
- Example sentences
- The pneumococcal bacterium is the second most common cause of bacterial meningitis.
- But these same kind of bacteria, pneumococcal bacteria, also help cause ear infections, or otitis media.
- Septicaemia, particularly pneumococcal and meningococcal, may be associated with widespread thrombosis.
Definition of pneumococcus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.