Definition of pneumococcus in English:
noun (plural pneumococci /-ˈkɒk(s)ʌɪ, -ˈkɒk(s)iː/)
A bacterium associated with pneumonia and some forms of meningitis.
- The bacteria pneumococcus, with more than 90 serotypes, is a common pathogen with many unknowns.
- These scientists have recently discovered that a significant proportion of pneumonia in children is not caused by a virus, but by a bacterium - the pneumococcus.
- The pneumococcus, a bacterium, is responsible for about a third of community pneumonia cases.
- Example sentences
- The pneumococcal bacterium is the second most common cause of bacterial meningitis.
- But these same kind of bacteria, pneumococcal bacteria, also help cause ear infections, or otitis media.
- Septicaemia, particularly pneumococcal and meningococcal, may be associated with widespread thrombosis.
Definition of pneumococcus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India