noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A parasitic protozoan that can cause fatal pneumonia in people affected with immunodeficiency disease.
More example sentences
- Pneumocystis carinii, phylum Sporozoa
- Moreover, providing treatment to prevent vertical transmission of HIV could save the NHS money - for example, by preventing the need for emergency care of an unnecessarily HIV infected infant with pneumocystis pneumonia.
- She would also be encouraged to begin prophylaxis for pneumocystis carinii pneumonia with Bactrim.
- He confirms that the photographer was HIV-positive but noted that the pneumonia was not pneumocystis pneumonia, the type usually associated with HIV.
More definitions of pneumocystisDefinition of pneumocystis in:
- The US English dictionary