Definition of pneumonia in English:
Lung inflammation caused by bacterial or viral infection, in which the air sacs fill with pus and may become solid. Inflammation may affect both lungs ( double pneumonia) or only one ( single pneumonia).
- The commonest infection is a type of pneumonia, a serious lung infection.
- There are immunisations for several of the infections that can cause pneumonia.
- The most common type of pneumonia is bronchopneumonia, which affects the bronchioles.
- Example sentences
- No vaccine currently is available for pneumonic or bubonic plague.
- In summary, SARS is a highly contagious and predominantly pneumonic illness.
- Daily radiographic assessment is essential for monitoring of this potentially rapidly progressive pneumonic illness.
Definition of pneumonia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan