- Drama, literature, and poetry all work out ideas of standards of behaviour and their consequences.
- Because he did not have any formal education in art, his aesthetic ideas derived from poetry and literature.
- I was brought up with the idea that poetry should rhyme; shape poems and the like were unheard of.
- This has far more beauty and poetry and poignancy and soul than we were expecting from the property.
- This is largely the failing of a vapid script that lacks both strong characterisations and poetry.
- Sokurov's drama has a haunting quality to it and moments of poetry found in the simplest of shots.
- To some it's as mundane as plumbing, but to me the connection of A to B is pure poetry.
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin poetria, from Latin poeta 'poet'. In early use the word sometimes referred to creative literature in general.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: poet¦ry
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.