Definition of pogonophobia in English:
noun[mass noun] chiefly humorous
Extreme dislike of beards: my pogonophobia possibly stems from my inability to grow one
More example sentences
- Being rather a hairy chap, I'm glad that neither myself nor my loved ones suffer from pogonophobia.
- While I wouldn't go so far as to say I suffer from pogonophobia, I am not really down with the things.
- He's struck a blow against pogonophobia, and claimed beards back for the squares.
- Example sentences
- In 1698, Peter the Great ordered Russian men to shave off their beards. Elizabeth I was similarly pogonophobic.
- They have grown accustomed to questions from people who aren't quite pogonophobic but are skeptical of the positive side of beards.
- There is a superb footnote to this article about how cats are pogonophobic, which raises more questions than it answers.
Mid 19th century: from Greek pōgōn 'beard' + -phobia.
Definition of pogonophobia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.